Sorry, this content is not currently available in the mobile view. Switch back to desktop view to access this page.
Assured Standards & HI-Q
Your budget may be limited, but the quality of Hostelling International accommodation is not! Wherever you stay, we aim to make your visit as enjoyable as possible while offering excellent value for money. We take hostel standards and quality very seriously.
Our member countries are obliged to meet the internationally agreed Assured Standards (often imitated but never bettered!) for comfort in the hostel. We are now introducing HI-Q®, the HI Quality™ Management System, which focuses on hostel management and operations to improve your hostel experience. Hostel guests also help monitor hostel standards through mystery shopper exercises, and by rating their hostel stay.
Find out more about our quality management – simply select a topic below:
Hostelling International's well-established Assured Standards means you can rely on a consistent level of services and facilities wherever you stay.
All our member countries are required to have in place regular inspection programmes. In addition the requirements of the Assured Standards Scheme are checked through visits to hostels by the HI Standards team.
We also conduct regular "mystery shopper" programmes with budget travellers - these programmes check that customer service standards are met.
- Welcome - hostels are open to all. You can join if you are not already a member and you can make advance reservations. Plus you will have access to essential facilities if the hostel closes for a period during the day.
- Comfort - a good night's sleep (including the hire of freshly-laundered linen if it is not included in the overnight charge), and sufficient washing/shower facilities. Meals are generally available, along with self-catering facilities and a food store nearby.
- Cleanliness - the highest standards of hygiene wherever you travel.
- Security - for you and your possessions, including lockers for luggage and valuables.
- Privacy - in showers, washing areas and toilets. Most hostels provide single sex dormitories - although if requested, a mixed sex dormitory may be offered to people travelling together.
Youth Hostel Associations also take great care to operate hostels in ways sympathetic to the environment.
You, our customers and global travelling community, are more important to us than anything else. Because of this, we have developed a unique, systematic way of making your stay at our hostels the highest quality experience it can be. We have put a unique framework of example process standards in place, so that hostels and associations can tailor them to their needs. This sets high standards throughout our services and products, ensuring that we have well trained staff, work with well-established strategies and bench marks, with various methods of checking your satisfaction and continuously improving. We call this system HI-Q. It's the HI Quality method.
How it works
Our quality management starts with establishing your needs and wishes, and turning them into your ideal network of hostels with an excellent service delivery throughout. We also focus on finding the right ways to improve our measurement of your satisfaction; we start with the planning stage - helping you to find the perfect trip for you and ensuring that the reservation process is clear and simple - following through to your stay; your experience of our welcome at reception, your impression of our hostel facilities, the cleanliness and maintenance of our kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms, and how you enjoy taking part in our hostel activities and meeting people.
Within HI-Q certified hostels and Associations, everyone has a direct involvement in your happiness. An amazing hostelling experience for you is a success for us.
- HI-Q light certification has been designed for smaller hostels.
- Level 1 and Level 2 are for midsized and bigger hostels
- Our Office module has been created to ensure delivery of all resources is undertaken with quality and efficiency.
HI-Q is a long-term programme which is now used in nearly 50 Associations and in more than 500 Hostels worldwide. Only those hostels which successfully complete and meet the HI-Q requirements will be certified every 3 years, and are able to display the distinctive HI-Q logo:
Look out for HI-Q hostels when booking your next trip.
After a hostel stay, each guest is invited to give feedback on their experience – and their comments/ratings are published directly on the relevant hostel page of www.hihostels.com. Along with ratings, we also ask customers to share their tips about things to see and do around the hostel. Help other travellers – remember to rate your stay whenever you visit an HI hostel!