Sorry, this content is not currently available in the mobile view. Switch back to desktop view to access this page
Assured Standards & HI-Q
Your budget may be limited, but the quality of Hostelling International accommodation is not! Wherever you stay, we aim to make your visit as enjoyable as possible while offering excellent value for money.We take hostel standards and quality very seriously.
Our member countries are obliged to meet the internationally agreed Assured Standards (often imitated but never bettered!) for comfort in the hostel. We are now introducing HI-Q®, the HI Quality™ Management System, which focuses on hostel management and operations to improve your hostel experience.Hostel guests also help monitor hostel standards through mystery shopper exercises, and by Rating their hostel stay.
Find out more about these – simply select a topic below:
Hostelling International's well-established Assured Standards means you can rely on a consistent level of services and facilities wherever you stay.
All our member countries are required to have in place regular inspection programmes. In addition the requirements of the Assured Standards Scheme are checked through visits to hostels by the HI Standards team.
We also conduct regular "mystery shopper" programmes with budget travellers - these programmes check that customer service standards are met.
- Welcome - hostels are open to all. You can join if you are not already a member and you can make advance reservations. Plus you will have access to essential facilities if the hostel closes for a period during the day.
- Comfort - a good night's sleep (including the hire of freshly-laundered linen if it is not included in the overnight charge), and sufficient washing/shower facilities. Meals are generally available, along with self-catering facilities and a food store nearby.
- Cleanliness - the highest standards of hygiene wherever you travel.
- Security - for you and your possessions, including lockers for luggage and valuables.
- Privacy - in showers, washing areas and toilets. Most hostels provide single sex dormitories - although if requested, a mixed sex dormitory may be offered to people travelling together.
Youth Hostel Associations also take great care to operate hostels in ways sympathetic to the environment.
HI-Q, the HI Quality Management System complements the well-established HI Assured Standards, and focuses on hostel management and operations. It takes ‘best practice’ from quality systems around the world and tailors them to the specific needs of hostels.HI-Q enables hostels to consistently improve and deliver high standards to ensure you have a great hostel experience.
HI-Q is a long-term programme that is now being implemented in HI hostels around the world. Only those hostels which successfully complete the programme will be certified and able to display the distinctive HI-Q logo – look out for it in the hostels you visit over the coming months.
After a hostel stay, each guest is invited to give feedback on their experience – and their comments/ratings are published directly on the relevant hostel page of www.hihostels.com. Along with ratings, we also ask customers to share their tips about things to see and do around the hostel. Help other travellers – remember to rate your stay whenever you visit an HI hostel!