Award winning 4 star graded backpackers lodge. Situated in Morningside, Durban. Gibela Backpackers Lodge is conveniently located in the hip, residential area of Morningside. Gibela is within walking distance to the centre of Durban's entertainment life, Florida Road, where there are restaurants, cocktail bars, clubs and coffee shops galore., You're about to discover a contemporary-style backpackers, designed to provide you with a comfortable stay in the most cross–cultural city in South Africa. This stylish and tranquil lodge is owned and managed by a former guide and keen traveller. Fellow travellers will receive good insider tips and travel recommendations, as well as superior comfort, in a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere.
Facilities and cleanliness - what our guests say:
- 'If there are hostels in heaven – they are Gibela Lodge'
- 'Rooms, beds and showers are absolutely tops'
- 'Definitely a step up from the rest'
- 'Lovely warm décor & spotless facilities'
- 'The nicest and most well run hostel we stayed in during our time in South Africa'
- 'Thanks for a very relaxing and comfortable stay in the nicest dorm I've been so far.'
- '[It's] no problem to be far from home when you come to stay at this lovely place.'
We appreciate the importance of clean facilities; we ensure that everything is spotless. The hostel is a non-smoking establishment.
Gibela's facilities include:
- Free clean and fresh sheet, pillow and duvets (towels in private rooms)
- Free coffee and tea, all day
- Free breakfast (cereals, yoghurt, bread & spreads, tea, coffee, fruit juice and fruit)
- Free book exchange - heaps of books and magazines.
- Free Durban & KwaZulu-Natal maps and advice
- Free luggage storage
- Free safety deposit
- Free modern, clean & equipped self-catering kitchen
- Free car and bike parking
- Free access to guide books from all around the world
- Bright, clean “Zulu Zen” decorated rooms
- Spotless modern bathrooms with 24 hour running hot water
- Cosy, comfortable Bohemian Indian style courtyard
- Internet, computers with memory card readers and public phone
- Hair dryer and iron - on request
- No curfew, no lockout - enjoy your freedom!
Gibela has 4 twin rooms, 2 x 4 bed dorms and 2 x 6 bed dorms.
There are four bathrooms in the hostel consisting of 6 showers and 5 toilets.
Our rooms are neat and well equipped with comfortable beds, ceiling fans and ample pack space.
Get immersed in the country's culture, history and nature! We proved INFORMATION on every spot in South Africa:
What to see and do
- Where to stay – Accommodation bookings in National Parks
- How to get there
- Bus, train and flight ticket reservations
- Day and overnight trips
Our local staff can offer tips and advice on how best to navigate the city - including sightseeing, museums, restaurants and activity events.
Durban is a special place. We at Gibela want to help to share the experience of our city’s mixed cultural heritage and make sure your stay in our “Kingdom” is an enjoyable and memorable experience.