What you, the traveller and hostel guest, can do to be sustainableAs travellers we all want to preserve the environments we travel through. Simply consider our top 10 tips on sustainable travel and see how you can help preserve our beautiful planet for generations of future travellers. Together we will make a difference.
1. Discover the real hostel experience & have fun with HI!
2. Take only photographs, do not take "souvenirs"
3. Keep the air cleanGive the car a rest. Leave the car behind, if only for a day. Walk, cycle or use public transport to get around. Your hostel will be happy to provide you with advice. Try share transport where you can, take the bus, train, walk or bike. You’ll see a lot more and it's cheaper!
4. Buy smart
5. Reduce, reuse and then recycle
6. Become an energy saverReduce energy by switching off lights when you leave the room, turning down heaters that are not needed, closing doors and windows if heating is on and avoid leaving appliances on standby. Try to also unplug appliances, such as TVs, as they can use as much as 40 watts per hour even when they are turned off!
7. Swap and share!Many hostels have areas where you can leave or swap books, clothes and travel necessities. If you don't need the rest of your shampoo or soap when packing to go home, many hostels have a place where you can leave it for other guests.
8. Reduce your footprint
9. Be water wiseTurn off the tap. The world is facing serious water shortage so you can help by turning off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving, sharing dishwater with others and taking shorter showers (or even sharing them!) Get a bit grungy. If you’re in unspoiled natural environments you don’t need to wash your hair or shave every day. The detergents you use can be very harmful and it’s a waste of precious water.
10. Get involved